The other day Jez Cordon tweeted out how hard XCOM 2 was. He’s right it is a very unforgiving game and I’ve been playing some version of XCOM since I was 14 (-or so. Not sure exactly the day I started playing).
- always move from cover to cover. If you double up on cover in corners, even better.
- Overwatch whenever possible.
- take quality cover over flimsy cover.
- do not take explosive cover.
- Guerilla Tactics School should be built asap. Train up everything possible.
- Advanced Warfare Center should be built asap. It gives your troops a bonus ability outside their class when they level up. Earlier is better.
- Don’t go on Every Mission. Crazy talk I know. If your A squad is all injured and the council wants you to do an impossible mission with rookies, they will all die. It would be better to disappoint the council.
- When given a choice between missions, you don’t have to do the hardest one.
- leave the Colonels at home. Once you’ve leveled up a squad member to Colonel you should start leveling up a new rookie. Every kill should have its extra XP (researched in GTS) go towards a promotion.
- Get up high.
- Unlikely to meet enemies on the roof.
- Longer sight lines.
- Farther grenade throws.
- Bonuses for higher level Snipers.
- “Save Scumming”
- Yes we all suck.
- Save Early. Save Often. If it all goes bad you can go back and make it right.
- They put saves in the game. Use them.
- reloading because you missed a shot is cheap.
- Use Explosives on Groups
- good way to break concealment
- hit and shock multiple enemies at once
- Destroys cover
- sets fires
- The game is won through special abilities
- level up your troops
- research special armor and ammo
- Hack and mind control
Do all that and you should pick up the subtler stuff as well.